Friday, March 5, 2010

I need to think big, I need Gig

Look what do i get to see today in the "world's fastest browser" and trying to access my favorite email and  "world's fastest growing email". This is what happens when you don't have infrastructure to back your applications. Snail, Lame, Dunce  this is what i would describe my internet connection. Today even 2Mbps internet connection is slow and thought to be dunce. I need a 1Gbps connection, off course i need it for cheaper price. Nothing becomes a revolution unless its cheap. Thinking of which, Outsourcing comes to my mind. Google can you bring Gig connection to India, Bangalore ? Let Airtel reach my home first :( Struggling with BSNL.

Monday, March 1, 2010

IE8 Vista : This tab has been recovered, looping

Woh, i have been running into lot of issues lately and here is one more. Since yesterday morning whenever I start IE8 on Vista, ok i have to use IE because the website that i want to access to connect to corporate network can run Juniper NetConnect only with IE.

I see this message "This tab has been recovered" when i start IE 8 on my laptop running Vista. It keeps happening in a loop making IE 8 unusable. However one can start IE in Add-ons disabled mode as Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add ons) and the problem disappeared. So looks like one of add on is causing IE to fail.

Well, at least I was able to get IE working again (Big deal huh !) but unfortunately running in Add on disabled mode means Net Connect addon will be disabled and I cannot connect to corporate network .... it would be sensible for Juniper to support Net connect to support Firefox if not chrome as working with just one browser means single point of failure, bad kitty.

One simple solution to the looping problem is to disable all the add-ons from Tools -> Manage Add ons and guess what, it worked. Back to work :)

Transliterate or localize your blog/website language.

I found this nice transliteration javascript from google. It works clean. It can translate your blog/website into many many languages.

Add the following javascript to you website or blog (Add a HTML/JS gadget)

<div id="google_translate_element"></div><script>
function googleTranslateElementInit() {
new google.translate.TranslateElement({
pageLanguage: 'en'
}, 'google_translate_element');
</script><script src=""></script>

As you see a google drop down box. Happy Localization. It was neat to see my blog getting translated to so many different language with so ease.

Heap issue with Ant Task

Long time ago i had seen the following error message after running ant task for my project.

[java] Error occurred during initialization of VM
[java] Could not reserve enough space for object heap
[java] Could not create the Java virtual machine.

I had connected to my development server via a remote desktop from Windows. I have a 2 gig ram on my server and I felt because i was doing remote desktop there was insufficient memory for the ant task. Hence i tried using VNC viewer and guess what the error was no longer to be seen. However a new sort of problem or should i say frustration came along with VNC viewer. First i had to disconnect my remote desktop session and then connect in via vnc. However this would require atleast 15-20 frustrating attempts cause most of the times VNC would fail to connect saying Connection terminated by the host. After living with this frustration for some time , i finally decided i had it enough and decided to get a solution to my original problem of insufficient heap.

The portion of my ant script that was throwing the error is

The ant task i have here forks a VM for TomcatBootstrap. So if you see maxmemory was set to 1000m. At first i thought of setting it to 1500m , 2000m and 3000m and it did not help. The maxmemory field is the maximum amount of memory to allocate to the forked VM, the more you allocate the lesser heap will be left. Hence you would see insufficient heap, hence one should allocate only the required minimum heap to the forked ant. Thus reducing maxmemory to 200m solved the problem. No more woes with VNC viwer, i can now use remote desktop to run the project and spend some more time blogging. As they say "Less is more".

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter